Difference between external sound an in-camera

peteComposium's picture

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out what camera/audio equipment to buy. Just want to be able to achieve sound quality that's good enough for TV commercials.

Can I do this using microphones that go directly into the camera (XLR?) or would I really have to get an external sound set up with its own power supply or pre-amp or whatever?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction... thanks!

paulears's picture

If the camera has XLR inputs, then it also probably has a percetly good enough sound recording section - the killer is usually that the camera operator usually has thweir hands (and eyes ) full with ;picture, so sound, is less easy to control. A separate recorder has a separate operator which is how the pros work. Plugging into the camera means the camerman has two jobs that fight. 

If you have modest audio needs, then the camera recording simplifies things. However, if you have your ears bunged upm with headphones for the audio, you can't be very effective as a cameraman. You thinking lavs,  booms, or what?

peteComposium's picture

Thanks for the reply. Honest truth is I don't know what my needs are, I just want to be sure that my audio sounds professional enough to make documentaries and commercials and maybe movies. Just trying to figure out what I can get away with.

paulears's picture

Difficult to recommend something then. I have cameras with XLRs, and I have a zoom recorder. Sometimes I will go straight into the camera - usually for c onvenience, and when audio is NOT critical - so the on camera mic, and maybe a radio mic receiver. The zoom might have a lav attached and be in the pocket of the subject - especially if I'm shooting at a distance. What I do know is the lack of XLR sockets on a camera is a real pain.