Key Factors for Educational Video

jaden's picture

What are key factors for Educational Video?

Laguna Hiker's picture
Plus Member

Not sure what you're asking--you might want to be more specific about your situation or problem.

BruceMol's picture

...and if you don't want to be more specific then I think most people would agree that the key factors would be; meet your objectives and collect your money.

Brian Collins's picture

Never underestimate the stupidity of the audience.  While that sound smug, and it is to a certain point, just remember that you as the producer, script writer or client have access to knowledge that the viewer may not.  Use clear and simple language that the widest possible range of people can understand. Engage the audience in an appropriate creative manner. Clearly communicate key and secondary concepts then repeat key concepts. Finally, towards the end of the presentation, refer viewers to a source for additional information such as a URL, contact person, etc.

Brian Collins

Atomic Pictures Inc

Birmingham, AL

www.atomicpix.com

adam agarthar's picture

i have my own opinion on this  query,

they are,

1)it should interesting and make us willing to listen

2)the audio should be clear and simple

3)if it is a animation video it ll make them learn easy

james784's picture

The main key factor is that topic should be very intrested.

Explanation should be very clear and understandable.

paulears's picture

Going back to my teacher training - any media used for education needs to encourage, inform and have a 100% communication success rate. This last bit is the key factor. For success, data has to be received intact. To do this, you need to know the audience, and adjust the content to suit them. This means that to make sure the content transfers properly you need to know age, learning level, perhaps even socio-economic group, because appropriate language is another absolute. Once you know the audience, you can produce the right training materials.

Get this wrong and people either fast forward, or press stop. 

Radriguez's picture

Hi Jaden

I would say the answer will be different for each videographer, the one piece of advice I will share with you from my 11 years of creating educational video content is that regardless of what the subject matter is, your film should be compelling - both from a storytelling and visual perspective. The whole purpose of an educational video is to educate and inform but never leave out the aspect of entertainment.

Forget thinking about the style, or format because that is all subjective.

The most important factors are to educate, inform, entertain.

Once you have those three elements then I think you might have an educational video worth watching.

Rad

Creative Director

http://www.pocketprojects.co.uk/

Lawrence Keeney's picture
Plus Member

I am sure there are many answers to this question depending on what type of educational video is being shot.

I am completely new to shooting video. I tried shooting with my Canon 5D III, but the 30 minute restriction just did not work for me. My first job was to photograph seven training videos showing how to do specific meat cutting techniques for a large company who sells to other companies. I went in fully equipped with lighting, audio, camera, extra batteries, power cords and about everything I could possibly need.. Except for the DSLR video time recording restriction, it went quite well. I am told they are looking for me to shoot 30 additional training videos for them. I ended up purchasing a Canon XA30 video camera and a Atomos Ninja Flame monitor/recorder for these new shoots. While these videos will be done on-location, I have set up my studio replicate the on-location setup, and I have practiced shooting taking into account everything I can think of that could go wrong.

For me, the "Key Factors" are knowing what the client wants and then preparation such that I can provide what they want.

Lawrence